Thursday 10 March 2011

The Lent Bumps

Last Saturday I spent the afternoon in Cambridge watching the Lent Bumps on the Cam. The Bumps are one of those things I had always meant to watch. But every time I thought about it, it turned out I had just missed them. Fortunately this year I was helped by a Camera Club reminder Email and some excellent advice from Sue on where to park and where to watch.

Unfortunately, the weather, which had been glorious the day before, was dull and grey with occasional drizzle. I decided to make use of the poor light to try some panning. This was something else I had never done before. The technique was every bit as tricky as I thought it would be. My trusty Leki pole came in very handy. I took and have deleted many hundreds of pictures. But, I did manage to get a few that I am fairly happy with. In each case I tried to focus on just one rower and the let the others blur. This wasn't easy as the race pace was fairly frantic, so my focus points could be a little sharper. I will just have to have another go during the May Bumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment