Monday 26 May 2014

Skye - Talisker Bay and Fairy Pools

I spent the first week of May on the Isle of Skye with my friend Vic and a couple of his mates from the Preston Photographic Society.  Since then I have been slowly sorting through the pictures (I really need to speed up my workflow).  The weather for our trip was decidedly mixed.  We only had one day that it rained, pretty much, non-stop  The rest of the time was a mix of showers (mainly at the ends of the day) and cloud, although there was the occasional sunny spell.

Talisker Bay was my favourite location of the trip.  It is a compact beach of stones and black volcanic sand, hemmed in by cliffs, with an impressive waterfall.  We made a couple of visits at high tide, concentrating on rocks and drift wood against the dark sand, as the waves receded.  Rain stopped play on both trips or I could have spent many more hours there.



On the way back from the first visit to Talisker, we spotted a small promontory jutting into Loch Harpoint, next to which were some derelict boats.  One in particular made a perfect subject on which to use my recently acquired Lee Big Stopper.


Fairy Pools, near Glen Brittle was another location we visited more than once.  Mainly because the first visit was thoroughly rained off.  During drier times of the year the river flowing down from the Cullin breaks up into a number of small falls feeding aqua-blue pools.  However, on our visits the river was in full spate, giving the pools a different dynamic.





1 comment: