Wednesday 28 September 2016

Orkney - Ring of Brodgar

I have saved the most iconic Orkney location until last.  The Ring of Brodgar is an almost 104 metre wide neolithic stone circle and henge.  It is originally thought to have contained 60 stones, but today only 27 remain.  During my stay on the Orkney mainland, half of the ring had been fenced off, to allow drainage improvements to the path.  Fortunately, the other half of the ring was clear of obstructions.  It was also a short drive from where I was staying, making it an ideal location to try for a sunrise.

Despite it being the last week in July, sunrise was still just before 5am,  with sunset just before 10pm.  On a couple of mornings during the week, I had looked out my bedroom window at 4.30am or so, to check out the prospects, and decided to go back to bed.  It wasn't until the last day that it was worth actually getting up and out.  I arrived at the ring just before the sun broke the horizon.  Once it did, the stones took on a beautiful golden glow.  This only lasted about half an hour.  After that the sun reached a bank of cloud and that was that.

I mentioned in an earlier post that, aside from the periodic coaches of day trippers, there weren't that many visitors to get in the way wherever I went.  But one thing that amazed me, given the photographic opportunities, was the complete absence of other serious 'togs.  I didn't see a single other tripod in 7 days.  You can visit the Castlerigg Stone Circle in the Lakes, for any given sunrise, and be certain to share your experience with a few other photographers.  At Brodgar there was not a soul around to trouble me.  In fact, it was so deserted that a small Imp of the Perverse in my head said I should 'do a Billy Connolly'.  But, dear reader, you will be pleased to know I resisted.  Besides, I wanted to shoot another location before breakfast.





2 comments:

  1. Very special images, Paul, caught at the exactly right time...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures Paul. Gleaming gold

    ReplyDelete