Sunday 26 May 2013

Portmeirion

It is appropriate that this is blog post no. 6 for the month, since it details my visit last weekend to Portmeirion.  I was in North Wales for a few days to celebrate my birthday, and was keen to spend a day there for some architectural and landscape shots.  Portmeirion is a beautiful little village, designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975.  Although largely in an Italian style, Williams-Ellis incorporated fragments of many demolished buildings in its construction and a number of other styles are evident up close.  Over all it has the feel of a giant folly.  It is, of course, probably most famous as the setting of 'The Village' in 60's cult TV series 'The Prisoner'.  A piece of trivia that isn't flogged as much as I'd feared, apart from the inevitable prisoner gift shop (I did like the replica jackets) and a 'Village' map near the entrance.

I was there on a lovely sunny day (best of my trip).  Whilst bright sun makes photography difficult, it was worth it to see this delightful setting at its best.  Naturally it is a popular tourist draw and was quite busy.  But what I discovered was that, once the ice cream shops shut at 5pm, most people go home.  Meaning that for the last couple of hours, before it closes to day visitors at 7pm, you can virtually get the place to yourself.  The light was a little kinder as well.

Be seeing you.




No comments:

Post a Comment